Google has announced that applications for the second cohort of the Google for Startup Black Founders Fund for Africa are now open.
Following the success of the first cohort last year, Google will increase its commitment with an additional $1 million in funding, and support for 10 more founders this year.
This will result in a commitment of $4 million to 60 eligible black-founded startups across Africa.
Google LLC is an American multinational technology company that specializes in Internet-related services and products, which include online advertising technologies, search engine, cloud computing, software, and hardware. It is considered one of the Big Four technology companies, alongside Amazon, Apple, and Facebook. Google was founded in September 1998 by Larry Page and Sergey Brin while they were Ph.D. students at Stanford University in California. The company’s rapid growth since incorporation has triggered a chain of products, acquisitions, and partnerships beyond Google’s core search engine (Google Search). It offers services designed for work and productivity (Google Docs, Google Sheets, and Google Slides), email (Gmail), scheduling and time management (Google Calendar), cloud storage (Google Drive), instant messaging and video chat (Duo, Hangouts), language translation (Google Translate), mapping and navigation (Google Maps, Waze, Google Earth, Street View), video sharing (YouTube), note-taking (Google Keep), and photo organizing and editing (Google Photos). The company leads the development of the Android mobile operating system, the Google Chrome web browser, and Chrome OS, a lightweight operating system based on the Chrome browser. Google has moved increasingly into hardware; from 2010 to 2015, it partnered with major electronics manufacturers in the production of its Nexus devices, and it released multiple hardware products in October 2016, including the Google Pixel smartphone, Google Home smart speaker, Google Wifi mesh wireless router, and Google Daydream virtual reality headset. Google has also experimented with becoming an Internet carrier (Google Fiber, Google Fi, and Google Station). Google.com is the most visited website in the world.
Aim and Benefits of Google Startups Black Founders Fund
- Access to capitalUp to $100K in equity-free cash will be awarded to each startup.
- We connect founders with the very best of Google’s people, products, and practices.
- At its core, the Black Founders Fund is a global initiative. Selected founders have the opportunity to connect with founders from all over the world.
Requirements for Google Startups Black Founders Fund Qualification
- Early-stage startups with black founders or diverse founding teams,
- Startups that are benefiting the black community,
- Operating and headquartered in Africa,
- Startups with a diverse founding team with at least one black founding member;
- Those having a legal presence on the continent and building technology solutions for Africa and the global market;
- Those who have the growth potential to raise more funding and create jobs.
Interview date, Process and Venue for Google Startups Black Founders Fund
- The winners will be announced on 29 July 2022.
May 31, 2022
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to Google on gfepublic.secure.force.com to apply
For more details,visit Google website
Daily News Reporters