In a devastating incident, the Anambra State Police Command has confirmed the untimely demise of a family of six, along with an apprentice, at their residence in Nkwele Ezunaka, Onitsha. The heartbreaking event occurred on Wednesday, leaving the entire community in shock.
According to reports, the unfortunate incident was caused by the inhalation of poisonous fumes emitted by a generator. The man, his wife, their two children, the mother-in-law, and an apprentice were all present at the house during the tragic occurrence. The family had recently moved into a new home to celebrate the birth of their newborn baby.
On the night of the incident, the family was joyously celebrating, but an unexpected power outage prompted the man to switch on a generator placed near the verandah close to the bedroom. Unfortunately, amid the celebration and exhaustion, they forgot to turn off the generator before going to sleep.
The following morning, a friend who was supposed to join the family’s celebration arrived at the house and noticed that the doors were locked, with the generator still running. Disturbed by the lack of response, the friend alerted other neighbors, who managed to force open the door, only to discover the lifeless bodies of the family members and the apprentice. Heartbreakingly, only the four-day-old baby survived the tragic incident.
Efforts were made to resuscitate the unconscious wife and one of the daughters after they were rushed to St. Charles Borromeo Hospital in Onitsha. However, despite the hospital’s best efforts, including administering oxygen, they could not be saved and were pronounced dead.
The deceased man, identified as Ifeanyi, hailed from Enugu State and worked as a trader at the Onitsha Bridge Head Market. The family’s aspirations for a new beginning in their new home were tragically cut short, leaving the community mourning their loss.
As investigations are still ongoing, the Anambra State Police Command, through their spokesperson, Tochukwu Ikenga, assures the public that the cause of the tragedy will be thoroughly examined. They promise to release further details as soon as the investigation is concluded.
The entire community is now coming together to offer support and condolences to the surviving newborn and the families affected by this heart-wrenching incident. May the souls of the departed rest in eternal peace, and may this tragedy serve as a reminder for everyone to exercise caution when using generators and other potentially dangerous equipment in their homes.