For young scientists from developing countries (other than Pakistan) who wish to pursue postdoctoral research in physical sciences in departments and laboratories of the National Centre for Physics (NCP) in Islamabad.
TWAS-NCP Postdoctoral Fellowships are tenable in the departments and laboratories of the National Centre for Physics (NCP) for a minimum period of six months to a maximum period of twelve months in one of the following fields: Plasma Physics, High Energy Physics (Experimental and Theoretical), Quantum Information, Applications of Ion Beam Techniques using Tandem Accelerator (5MV), Atomic Physics & Spectroscopy, Laser Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy (LIBS), Modeling, Simulation & Computing, Astrophysics & Cosmology, Vacuum Science & Technology (Vacuum Standards, Vacuum Coating & Material), Additive manufacturing and 3D printing and Artificial Intelligence.
NCP will provide a monthly stipend which should be used to cover living costs such as food, accommodation and health insurance. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency.The language of instruction is English.
About The Wrld Academy of Sciences(TWAS)
The World Academy of Sciences for the advancement of science in developing countries works to support sustainable prosperity through research, education, policy and diplomacy. TWAS is a global science academy based in Trieste, Italy. Through three decades, TWAS’s mission has remained consistent: Recognize, support and promote excellence in scientific research in the developing world; Respond to the needs of young scientists in countries that are lagging in science and technology; Promote South-South and South-North cooperation in science, technology and innovation; Encourage scientific research and sharing of experiences in solving major problems facing developing countries. TWAS and its partners offer over 600 fellowships per year to scientists in the developing world who want to pursue PhDs and postdoctoral research. TWAS prizes and awards are among the most prestigious given for scientific work in the developing world.
Requirements for TWAS-NCP Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme Qualification
Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- Be permanent residents in a developing country (other than Pakistan);
- Must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in Pakistan or any developed country;
- Hold a PhD degree in a field of natural sciences;
- Apply for the fellowship within five years of having obtained a PhD degree in a field of the natural sciences;
- Be regularly employed in a developing country (other than Pakistan) and hold a research assignment there;
- Provide a certificate of good health from a qualified medical doctor;
- Provide an official Acceptance Letter from NCP. Requests for acceptance must be sent to the General Manager (GM) of the Collaboration & Academic Activities Directorate (CAAD) (firstname.lastname@example.org) who will facilitate assignment of a host supervisor. In contacting the GM, CAAD, applicants must accompany their request for an acceptance letter with a copy of their CV and a research proposal outline. See sample preliminary acceptance letter that can be downloaded below or included in the online application form.
- Provide evidence of proficiency in English, if medium of education was not English;
- Provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
- Not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
May 31, 2022
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) on onlineforms.twas.org to apply
Submitting your application
- The call for applications is open until 31 May 2022.
- Applicants must submit an Acceptance Letter from NCP when applying, or by the deadline at the latest. Without preliminary acceptance the application will not be considered for selection.
- Applications for the TWAS-NCP Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme can ONLY be submitted to TWAS via the online portal. A tutorial on how to use the online application form is available for download here
- Please be advised that applicants may apply for only one programme per calendar year in the TWAS and OWSD portfolio. Applicants will not be eligible to visit another institution in that year under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes. One exception: The head of an institution who invites an external scholar to share his/her expertise under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes may still apply for another programme.
- For more details,visit TWAS website